Home > Jobs > Classroom Assistant

Classroom Assistant

Author: Jack Claridge - Updated: 17 December 2013 | commentsComment
Children Classroom Assistants Classroom

A classroom assistant is someone who will aid a teacher in the teaching of his or her classes by spending time with the pupils – who are normally of primary school age – during class time. The role of a classroom assistant is to assist with those classes where numbers are high and the teacher is required to spend most of his or her time teaching the entire class as opposed to spending time on a one to one basis.

Typically classroom assistants will help with any of the following:

  • Preparing the classroom for lessons
  • Listening to children read
  • Telling the children stories or reading to them
  • Assisting with maths
  • Helping children who need additional support in class
  • Assisting with school outings or sports days
Again not an exhaustive list but a list which certainly contains many of those tasks which make the classroom assistant an invaluable aid for any teacher – especially those teachers who have high class numbers or classes containing problematic children.

In Secondary school education a teaching assistant would normally be found to be assisting those pupils who have learning difficulties or some form of disability as it is now common place for disabled pupils, or behaviourally disadvantaged children, to be fed through the mainstream education system as opposed to sending them to special needs schools, which are now becoming fewer in number.

As a classroom assistant you may find that your title is not that of Classroom Assistant but that of Teaching Assistant, Non-Teaching Assistant or Learning Support Assistant. There is also what is known as Higher Learning Teaching Assistants: these assistants have more say in how lessons are put together, prepare teaching aids and materials, supervise the class in the absence of a teacher and also help other teaching staff as and where necessary. As a Higher Learning Teaching Assistant (HLTA) you may also be required to assess the work of the pupils in your class.

How to Become a Classroom Assistant

A good place to start if you want to become a classroom assistant is to volunteer at a local school. Perhaps you are a parent yourself and have a child attending school – if this is the case then you could offer your services to the school to help out where class size demands. If you do decide to volunteer at your local school you must first – as is the case with all roles involving children, the elderly or the vulnerable – have a CRB check carried out. This CRB – Criminal Records Bureau – check allows the school to obtain information as to whether or not you have a criminal record or whether you are a risk to children, the elderly or people considered to be vulnerable. Obtaining this disclosure early on is a distinct advantage.

You should be enthusiastic, easy going, creative and be able to work as part of a team. In addition to this you should be able to communicate as positively with children as you would with adults. Children find it difficult to communicate with adults who find it difficult to communicate with them.

The entry level criteria will vary from school to school so it is best to contact the school you are interested in volunteering for – or your Local Education Authority (LEA) – who be able to put you on the right track.

In some areas of the country new pilot schemes have been rolled out whereby individuals can qualify to become a classroom assistant with qualifications that are similar – and also recognised in the same way – as NVQs.Again it is best to consult your Local Education Authority (LEA) to see if this is the case.

It is also worth mentioning that – as a classroom assistant – your time may not always been spent on site and you may be required outside the normal school hours if outings or after school clubs take place. Again this varies from school to school but if you are enthusiastic and motivated then this will not be a problem for you.

Being a classroom assistant can be a rewarding and character-building occupation, which has led to many classroom assistants continuing their study in order to become full time, qualified teachers.

You might also like...
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
[Add a Comment]
Helo Can you please send me more information RE: Teaching Assistant in Victoria BC I havea BC "ECE Licence To Practice" and TESL (ESL Instructor Certificate) Many thanks! Sincerely, H. Willeumier
Hetty - 4-Jun-12 @ 3:10 PM
I am very interested in becoming a classroom assistant and have a Btec national diploma in childhood studies. I am also a mother of 2 children, Ethan who is 2 and a half and freya who is 5 months! I have had lots of experiance in working with children and I feel that I would be very well suited for this position. If there is any information you would be able to send me regarding becoming a classroom assistant I would be very grateful! Kind regards Amanda symonds
Mands - 23-Feb-12 @ 11:27 AM
I want to became a classroon assistant. I love to work with the kids and I hope to get this volunteer job before the schools close, so I can get the job in sept. please would you help me that. thank you
Hamda - 15-Jun-11 @ 10:05 AM
I have completed my nvq2 in early years child care and development but now have decided to move into a school position of teaching asssistant (hopefully). What is the best course for me to go onto next?
DAISY - 14-Jun-11 @ 2:30 PM
I want to became a classroom assistant. I hope to get on the right Course in Sept. I do a bit of voluteer work as a helper in my school, I am also a Midday Lunch Supervisor Assistant. What Course do I need to go on? Help!!
Cat - 10-Jun-11 @ 9:19 AM
Leave a Comment, Ask for Advice or Share Your Story...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • WorkingWithKids
    Re: CRB Checks
    @Happy46- An enhance DBS check will show details of all cautions, warnings, reprimands and convictions held on an individual’s criminal record, and…
    24 November 2014
  • Happy46
    Re: CRB Checks
    I was in an abusive relationship some years ago and the police had to be called. My children were present, but not harmed in anyway by their dad, as I was…
    21 November 2014
  • WorkingWithKids
    Re: Working in a Youth Club
    @THE HEDGE - Yes, it is not up to you to supply the CRB (now DBS) check, it is up to your new employer (whether voluntary work or not) to…
    20 November 2014
    Re: Working in a Youth Club
    Hi would like some advice . i work in a community college as caretaker and i have a C R B do i need a another one to help with a local…
    19 November 2014
  • WorkingWithKids
    Re: How Do I Start my Career as a Family Support Worker?
    @strength - it's nice to see you are so focussed on wanting to give back to the community. Along…
    14 November 2014
  • strength
    Re: How Do I Start my Career as a Family Support Worker?
    Hi I'm 31 years old, I have 2 disabled children and 2 other children. My 4 children mean the world…
    14 November 2014
  • WorkingWithKids
    Re: Child Psychologist
    @Julie316 - While I can't make any comments on your situation directly, I can understand the frustration you may be feeling and can offer a few…
    11 November 2014
  • julie316
    Re: Child Psychologist
    Just need general advice, I've been in and out of court for 4 half years my ex wanted contact with his daughter, I have dealt with this on my…
    9 November 2014
  • Kat
    Re: CRB Checks
    @Flo - I imagine it depends upon the employer and how reasonable they are and how long ago the offence was.
    7 November 2014
  • Lisa
    Re: Youth Club: What are Legal Child to Adult Ratios?
    Hi I am looking into starting my own Dance/Theatre School. I have a location which can fit upto 60…
    7 November 2014
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the WorkingWithKids website. Please read our Disclaimer.