Home > Ask Our Experts > POCA: Implications for Instructors and Members?

POCA: Implications for Instructors and Members?

By: Rachel Newcombe - Updated: 4 Jul 2015 | comments*Discuss
Poca: Implications For Instructors And Members?


I help run a weekly community drumming group. We have approximately 50 members, all of whom are adults. Recently a 15 year old came along under the supervision of an adult.

Do we now fall under the POCA? If the supervising adult cannot be there what are the implications for the drumming instructors and other members of the group?

(Dr Adam Watkins, 15 October 2008)


Thanks for your question and concern about how your group is affected by the Protection of Children Act (POCA). Under the terms of the POCA, all organisations which are involved in the care of children in any way come into it. Although your group is not primarily a care organisation, the POCA also has a section dealing with other organisations, such as voluntary groups or leisure groups where children join in with activities. It sounds like your drumming group would come under the terms of the other organisations.

The official guidance says that, “Whilst the provision of the Protection of Children Act 1999 are not made mandatory for these organisations [e.g. the ‘other organisations as mentioned above], it is the Government’s hope that they will make referrals to the scheme. This is to ensure that they provide a comparable level of safety to children in their care as that offered within the regulated child care sector.”

So, although it may be a bit frustrating that you only have one child currently attending the group, and that there may even be a supervising adult with that child some of the time, it would be advisable to take the terms of the POCA into consideration. Most of all, this will add the reassurance that you’re covered and have gone by the government rules, plus it will mean that you could potentially have other children attending the group at a later time, should you wish.

Under the POCA, anyone working with children now needs to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, whether they are a paid employee or voluntary worker for an organisation. This will check their background and provide information about whether an individual has a criminal record or a criminal conviction. In this instance, it would be advisable for the drumming instructors to undergo a DBS check. Assuming the results are all fine, you will then be able to offer reassurance to the parents of the child who attends that all necessary checks have been made.

If the adult who has been supervising the child when attending the group can’t make it then, due to the age of the child, it would be advisable to have someone on hand – who has been DBS checked – to step in to the supervisory role.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
I am starting a holiday club for kids.....art and craft activities. Please could you advise what policies I need and any other requirements thank you
wendiwobble - 4-Jul-15 @ 8:28 AM
@Lindsey - I have included a link about what will be included and how you can get copies of your police records. link here. You can also contact the customer disclosure line via Gov.uk if you need to speak to someone directly link here.
WorkingWithKids - 28-Nov-14 @ 10:59 AM
Should a child be placed on the Child Protection Register, but the single parent NOT convicted, and child due to come off CPR now also, will it show on parents enhanced DBS check?
Lindsey - 27-Nov-14 @ 5:28 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • sammie
    Re: DBS Checks
    29 year ago I got 12 months suspended sentence on insightment to cause assult I am applying for a job as a kitchen supervisor will my dbs come back with…
    15 February 2019
  • Shell
    Re: Becoming a Special Needs Volunteer
    I would like to be a volunteer for special needs children or adults iv got 3 grandchildren with special needs so I think…
    14 February 2019
  • Chris
    Re: Becoming a Childminder
    Hi I have NVQ 2 in adult social care can I use this to become a child minder As want to change my career Thank you
    10 February 2019
  • mel
    Re: Working With Young Offenders
    Hello , My name is melissa, im 14 and i go to huish episcopi school and am looking for a work experience placement . Would you…
    4 February 2019
  • Iza
    Re: Becoming a Special Needs Volunteer
    Hi, I am looking to volunteer to work with special needs children in school from September in Berkshire or…
    29 January 2019
  • Amy
    Re: The Girl Guides, Brownies and Rainbows
    For rainbows your child as to be 5 LC
    11 January 2019
  • Amy
    Re: The Girl Guides, Brownies and Rainbows
    I'm looking for a rainbows group for my daughter in Blackburn anyone know were there is any
    11 January 2019
  • Tez
    Re: Working at a Children's Home
    Hi, I'm 43 with 3 children. I've always worked with children since leaving high school- TA And play work. I graduated in 2016…
    10 January 2019
  • Beant
    Re: Becoming a Special Needs Volunteer
    Hi I’m Beant and I’m 40 already have 2 kids but also have deaf siblings I have always wanted to work with special needs…
    4 January 2019
  • Beant
    Re: Voluntary Work in Schools
    Hello my name is beant and I would love to volunteer working with children to give back to the community! I work for a agency working…
    4 January 2019